Available March 2016
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will next years schedule be available? The following year’s class schedule will be posted on December 15 of the present year
- Where is the Shooting School located? The school is in Ellijay, Georgia. The range is in a remote location without a physical address but our lodge, where the shooters meet on Sunday evening, is located at 122 Adventure Trail, Ellijay, Georgia, 30540. We do not receive mail or any communications at that address. For a shipping address see #4 below.
- Which class should I take, Basic/ Intermediate (BI) or Advanced? Our Basic / Intermediate Class is designed to accommodate shooters who have never shot before as well as shooters who have not been extensively trained in the skills of drawing quickly from a holster, reloading quickly, and engaging multiple targets. Our BI course, although designed to train novice shooters, graduates shooters with skills much more advanced then our competitors’ “advanced” courses. With the exception of IDPA or USPSA-IPSC, other shooting sports will not prepare someone for our Advanced Class. If you are a typical shooter who belongs to a gun club and has been through various NRA programs, you should take our BI Handgun Class. The Advanced Class is reserved for highly skilled and trained shooters. You do not qualify for the Advanced Class unless you are already capable of safely drawing with hands at chest level as a start position and placing two hits on a upper torso sized target at 10 yards in less then 2 seconds and able to reload from shot to shot in less then 3 seconds.
- If I need to ship ammunition or other supplies to the school, what is the shipping address? The shipping address is: Rogers Shooting School, 96 Craig Street, Suite 112-113, Ellijay, Georgia, 30540.
- Is there a specific type of ammunition that I must use at the school? Yes. As of January 2012, all students other than military units must use a copper plated bullet or a frangible bullet. The copper jacket on standard ball ammunition poses a serious risk of separating from the lead core and deflecting back on the shooter. Copper plated bullets, however, do not have a copper jacket that can separate. CCI Blazer in all calibers is an acceptable plated lead core bullet. Georgia Arms, Villa Rica, Georgia, offers a line of plated lead core bullets as well. Georgia Arms product number for their plated bullet is as follows: 9MM 115 plated metal jacket; G9mm A. 40S&W 165 plated metal jacket; G40H. 45 ACP 185 plated metal jacket; 45AL. Federal also has line of pistol bullets that are lead with a polymer coating that is also allowed. It is the American Eagle Syntech brand. The Rogers Shooting School now carries an inventory of plated and frangible ammunition in 9 MM, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP at competitive prices. However students should reserve ammunition at registration to insure that they have access to school ammunition at the time of the class.
- How much ammunition is required for the advanced handgun class? 2500 rounds plus or minus 10%.
- Is one pistol caliber better than another for training at the Rogers School? Yes, because of the high number of rounds fired each day, around 500, we have found that the 9 MM causes less physical stress than other center fire cartridges. If you are physically conditioned to shooting 500 rounds a day from your favorite pistol and cartridge then it will not matter. Otherwise we would recommend staying with a 9MM to train with at our school.
- How should I prepare myself for an upcoming class that I am registered for? Read, “Be Fast, Be Accurate, Be the Best”. A copy of the book will be sent to you upon registration. Practice the drills spelled out from pages 54 to 103. Pay particular attention to pages 76 and 102. A video is also available for sale and can be found on this web site. Do not arrive at the school and expect to do well if you cannot clearly see the front sight of your handgun instantly while pointing at a spot with both eyes open. Bifocal lenses will not work!
- How do I register for a class? Click on the button: “Dates/signup”. Place the cursor over the name of the course you are interested in and left click your mouse. Fill out the questionnaire regarding services and follow the registration process with a credit card. You will be required to pay half of the estimated cost of the class less any taxes as a deposit. If for some reason you cannot register in this manner, call 904-613-1196.
- What is the school’s cancellation policy? If you cancel before 60 days of the start of a class, we will refund your deposit less a $20.00 processing fee. There will be no refund for a cancellation less than 60 days before the start of a class.
- What is the closest commercial airport to the shooting school? Atlanta, Hartsfield, is the closest large airport. It is about 80 miles from Ellijay.
- What should I bring to the school? For the Basic/Intermediate Class we furnish all of the shooting gear including ear and non-prescription eye protection. If you require prescription glasses as mentioned above in #8, insure that the lenses are shatter proof and protect the corner of the eyes from the side. Bring comfortable shoes, a 1.5” wide belt that is not thick or rigid, and rain gear. In the fall and early spring bring layered clothing. For the Advanced Class you will need to supply all of your shooting gear as well as the recommended items above.
- Who can attend a class? Any person who can legally possess a firearm in their state or country. Minors above age 14 may attend if they have a parent or legal guardian present at the school. Our Basic/Intermediate Class is for novice shooters or those who have not been specifically trained to operate quickly and safely from a holster. Our Advanced Class is for highly trained individuals who are skilled at safely drawing and firing accurate shots in less than 2 seconds.
- Can I rent firearms for the advanced classes or the stand-alone rifle class? Yes, we have very good selection of modern handgun and shoulder weapons with related magazines and holster gear. The handguns with supporting gear rents for $50.00 plus sales tax a week while the shoulder weapons go for $100.00 plus sales tax. Please request a rental firearm at initial registration.
- What time of day do the classes start and end? The handgun classes start with a mandatory lecture and safety briefing on Sunday night at 7:00 PM. The instruction runs from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM each day for just the handgun portion and to 6:00 PM if the optional shoulder weapon is selected. Night shoot is on Thursday and the class ends by 12:00 noon on Friday.
- Is breakfast and lodging required at your facility? No. You are welcome to stay at any of the several motels in the vicinity. Our lodge is rustic. We have three separate living quarters that sleep a maximum of 6 each. Over the years many have claimed that staying at the lodge with the other students was a great experience. If you are however are a light sleeper or require privacy, I would recommend that you stay at one of the several motels in Ellijay. All are nearby. You, however, will not be able to beat our total cost of $125.00 for the week.
- Is the lunch and dinner program ($50.00) required? No but it is very highly recommended. We do not have time for the students to leave the range for lunch. Our homework schedule is planned around dinner at our lodge facility. Depending on the day, the homework is just before dinner or just after dinner. There is no way students can manage the homework schedule around commercial dinning in Ellijay. Our lunches each day are sandwiches, snacks, and a selection of cold drinks. Our dinners are home cooked, family style with plenty to eat. You cannot match the total price of $50.00 for lunch and dinner at any location in Georgia.